Monday, May 30, 2016

Falling Back in Love with Their School

I loved the boy's elementary school as soon as I entered it years ago. It's very small, the student population are diverse in their abilities, and the staff bring a family atmosphere.

Over the years that love has waned a little. Being small it was hard for my son to avoid a bully, being so diverse, the teachers are overwhelmed sometimes and communication from them isn't the best. And it's in the public school system, so it isn't exactly Harvard. But I live close by and my kids enjoy it so we've plodded on.

This week changed all that. I took the time to go and participate in their events and realized why I fell in love in the first place. Yes it has it's faults and I'll forever be disappointed in the way the principal  handled some things. But I enjoyed every second of these performances and a shed quite a few tears. On a sad note, we lost one of our special ed students this week. She died on Thursday. The graduating 5th graders dedicated a song to her and brought us all to tears.

Jack has one more year left at this school but Daniel has four, which makes me happy.


Talent Show 2016 from Pam on Vimeo.
Artstravaganza2016 from Pam on Vimeo.

No comments: