Sunday, March 13, 2016

Audio Books I'm Listening to


I just started listening to "Masterminds & Wingmen" by Rosalind Wiseman, a book about raising boys.  There are some frightening statistics at the beginning.  More boys than girls are diagnosed with learning disabilities, commit suicide (for every 100 girls, 549 boys), and end up in correctional facilities. 
What are we doing wrong? Turns out we are damaging our boys at an alarming rate. I've already sat in my car and cried or got choked up several times and I'm only 5 disks into an 11 disk set. Let's hope it gives me the tools to reach out and connect with my boys much better than I have. I can clearly see now that it would be easy to ignore their needs, since they rarely open up. 
Here's a short little video about the book.... 




I have also been obsessed with the audio books of Philippa Gregory, particularly about The Tudor period in English history. It was such a fascinating, bonkers time!  What I love about her books is that they are written from the women's perspective.  I know it's not hard-core history (it's historical fiction at best) but I loved how she fills in the gaps and brings the women to life.
Here's what I've polished off so far:
  • The lady of the rivers (Jacquetta of Luxembourg  - Henry Vlll's maternal great grandmother)
  • The red queen (Margaret Beaufort  - Henry Vlll's paternal grandmother)
  • The white queen (Elizabeth Woodville - Henry Vlll's maternal grandmother)
  • The white princess (Elizabeth of York - Henry Vlll's mother)
  • The kings curse  (Margaret Pole  - the last of the Plantagenets)
And of course Henry Vlll's  six wives. Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived.
He really was a crazy crazy bastard.
  • The constant princess (Katherine of Aragon)
  • The other Boleyn girl (Ann Boleyn, Jane Seymour)
  • The Boleyn inheritance (Anne of Cleves, Katherine Howard)
  • The taming of the queen (Katherine Parr)
Here's a short video about the Katherine Parr novel "The Taming of the Queen". The feminist in me loved this book. Actually, the feminist in me loved ALL the books.

No comments: