Thursday, September 03, 2015

Losing Eric

My friend Eric died on Tuesday at 1.30pm. He collapsed at work (aneurysm maybe) and died instantly. His friend Donny found him in his office and he told me that he tried CPR but it was too late. I can't imagine how Donny's coping.

Eric was only 51 and had the heart and soul of a very young man. He loved life, laughed all the time and loved to be around people. I'm so lucky to have known him for 15 years and to have spent the last 10 living around the corner from him. It meant that we could hang out a lot. This usually involved drinking of course, which usually led to dancing in my front room at 3am to Elton John, or jumping on the trampoline, or some other such nonsense. We were totally bad for each other but loved each other immensely.  One of my favourite things we did each year was to spend Christmas Eve together. His partner Dave would spend that night with his family in Kentucky so Eric would come here and celebrate with us and watch the Santa tracker with the boys. He loved the boys and showered them with gifts. Christmas Eve this year will be rough to say the least.

I have so many memories of him tied into my house. He celebrated citizenship with us, he had pictures made of the boys that hang on my walls, he gave me interior design advice, and he loved playing with Ben and the cats.  He especially loved my new porch and we spent hours on there this year, him puffing away on his Marlboro and drinking Makers Mark, while I drank wine and belly laughed into the night.

He also loved all my friends, and they him, so there's a wide wide circle of people who were devastated by his loss. Of course his partner Dave is barely coping right now. I'm very lucky that many of our friends have gathered around to comfort each other. Jan and Char have flown in from California, Richard & Stephen from Arizona. I've already spent time with Debbie & Lyn and Donny and Dave. Having us all together has been a huge blessing.

For my part I spent Tuesday night and all day yesterday in tears. I couldn't face work and just couldn't stop crying all damn day. It is so unfair that this man, this absolute rock star of a human being, should have left this earth. RIP my friend. This world is a little less bright & fun.

Dave, Eric, me & Craig

No comments: