Monday, November 11, 2013

John Southern

I need to start off by wishing my step-mum Sheila a Happy Birthday!  We did try and call but there was no answer.

We had today off work for Veteran's Day. We had planned to do house work and yard work but I got up at 10.45am (gulp, yes really!) and then Craig went back to bed this afternoon. So between us we didn't get much accomplished. We hardly ever do things like that but we were both exhausted, so I'm not going to feel guilty about it.

I did take Danny to a play cafe for a couple of hours. It was so nice to sit down with a coffee and not have to hover over him like all the other mums had to (they had babies and toddlers). I sat and watched him play, ever so gently with babies, and so nice with the other kids. I'm proud of him.

I have really enjoyed seeing pictures of friend's relatives on Facebook today. Many friends had grandparents or great-grandparents that were veterans. It was great to see my friend Lauren's handsome grandad, my best mate Sue's grandad with Winston Churchill (what a picture!), and a friend's grandad who fought in the American Civil War. It's so touching to see them all. I read a picture about a vet in Lytham in England who died and didn't have an relatives and hundreds of people, strangers, showed up to his funeral to pay their respects. That one had me crying like an old fool.

I found a lovely picture of my paternal Grandad in his WW2 uniform but not of my maternal Grandad (must try and get one from mum). I did find this picture though. His name is John Southern and he was the young brother of my great grandma Ada. He died in battle in Belgium during The Great War. He was only 20. The battle (3rd Battle of Ypres) was famous for it's poor leadership and awful weather conditions. The men and horses and military equipment were bogged down in waist high mud and their commanders sent them to their inevitable deaths. It's very sad. He's buried in Belgium. Maybe I'll make it one day. My mum is going next year and Craig's nephew Luke is too. 2014 is the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the war.



No comments: