Saturday, August 11, 2012

Sleepover take-2 & Great Book

They should start a boy-band
Last night Jack had his second sleep-over and this time he stayed all night. I have a sneaky feeling it's because the mom went to bed before him  and he didn't want to tell his friend's dad that he wanted to come home. All 3 boys stayed over for the first time. Jack's very proud of himself and was happy this morning when I got him. By comparison, I was a wreck. I went to bed at 11.30pm and woke up at 3am and lay there imaging all kinds of horrid stuff, like you do at night. When the mom texted me at 8 am I pounced on the phone next to my bed like a ninja. I also had a pain in my chest all night. Not kidding. When I was getting ready to go and get him Craig said good morning and I told him to go back to sleep, that I was going to get Jack, and he said "Yeah I know. I haven't slept either and can't wait to see him". He's only six and it's hard to put trust in other parents I suppose.

Last night we went to a party to celebrate the PhD of one of our friends, Ed. I've known him since 1998 in England so it was especially poignant for me. He may have to leave to get a job elsewhere but I'm hoping we can keep him. His research is ground-breaking and could possibly bring in $$$$$$ in research funding. I reactivated my status as a PhD student last week and hope to have it done by 2014. Fingers and eyes crossed for me please.

Because being up since 3 wasn't hard enough I spring-cleaned my house today and got ten vacuum canisters of hair and dirt!  I probably shouldn't share that on the Internet and now you all think I'm a dirty bugger but it's one of those gross things I always find fascinating and have to share - like childbirth and sun burnt skin and big scabs. ha ha ha. It's so nice having no laundry to do and a clean house. In one hours time the whole process will start again, like a juggernaut of mess.

I am nearly at the end of a great book - "Code Name Verity" by Elizabeth Wein. It's about two girls in WW2 and of course I have fallen in love with their characters and I'm 50 pages from the end and things are not good. Fact -  English people are still very much in tune and obsessed with WW2 (and WW1 actually). Even my nieces and nephews that are in their 20's are very aware of all the history. By comparison I would say that most Americans of my generation and younger know nothing or don't care about WW1 or WW2.  Maybe because they weren't bombed?


No comments: