Thursday, November 04, 2010

Jack the Lad at 4

I noticed, particularly since my friend Emily has been putting the spotlight on each of her kids, that I don't elaborate too much about my boy's personalities and I should, because this blog is really just a big diary for me to go back and look at postings and reminisce.

And so first, my Jack. Jack the Lad, Jack Sparrow. Pud. Who are you at 4 years old?

You are thoughtful, kind, sweet, relentless, extremely imaginative, cheeky, rambunctious, shy, athletic, funny and loud.

You love to play pretend and spend most of every day either a pirate or a doctor or a policeman. Last night and this morning we spent time speaking to each other through walkie-talkies as you, Fireman Jack, rescued a family from a burning building. You don't care too much for cars and trains (like your brother does) but you will play for hours with the laundry basket. You enjoy crafts and puzzles and any other activity that you can play with someone, because you love people even though it takes a while for you to warm-up. Sometimes keeping you occupied all day exhausts me, but I wouldn't change it. Another passion for you right now is super heroes like Batman and Superman and Spiderman. Villains like The Joker scare you silly, but you love to play at fighting them and saving the world. Your imagination and caring attitude are two traits that really define you.

In four years you have never had a major flailing tantrum (unlike your brother!) or refused to eat certain foods, or been mean to another person. In fact your teachers told me this week how kind you were in the classroom. They called you a sweetheart. Now, you are not a little saint either young man! You can talk the hind leg off a donkey and you fight bedtime every single night. You can be stubborn sometimes, like refusing to wear long pants even in winter (just like dad!) but right now you are a joy to know. I sometimes worry that I don't do enough 'work" with you and that you don't show perhaps as much interest in writing and other academic skills as other kids, but you are four and I'm not going to force you. Plus, you're a boy! So more climbing and less writing!

Right now, I love spending time with you and I love that you like to help me. Just this week you were so excited to help me get your old potty from the basement and clean it for Danny! You call me Moma and I feel such a special bond with you, my Jack. Love is not a big enough word.

Photo by Jodi Miller

No comments: