Friday, June 11, 2010

Our Frankie Has Gone

Very sad news greeted us as we woke this morning. Our cat, Frank, died last night at home. Thankfully it was sudden and he was not in the house on his own. A heart attack I think as he was 11 years old and he had some heart issues. Every time I think about it I cry and I've had a stone in my chest all day long. I wish I'd been there with him & even though I don't think it would have made any difference, my heart aches about it.
Frank was with me and Craig from the beginning of our great American adventure. When we rescued him in September 1999 he joined us on our journey from flea-ridden apartment to our own home. He lived with us through famine and storms and moving house and having kids. He was vocal and thought of himself as the king of the house. He sang opera when he used the litter tray and he slept on my head in the winter when it was cold. We're going to really miss him.
We haven't told Jack yet as he'll get distressed about it. We'll bury Frankie when we get home and I'll work out between now and then whether we'll include Jack in the ceremony.
It all just seems so surreal because it was so sudden and I can't quite believe he won't be there when I get home.


I posted Frank's story 3 years ago. It's HERE if you'd like to read it.

No comments: