Sunday, May 24, 2009

Scary Phone Call

A few weeks ago, a worker at Jack's day-care centre got let go. It was nothing serious. The owner told me this woman loved the kids but just didn't really know how to engage them and was more likely to stand back and watch the mayhem. This worker (I've posted about her before) loved Jack and has known him for about a year. She spoiled him and on many an occasion told me how much she loved him and that she talked about him all the time to her Aunt that she lives with.

Tonight about 9pm I got a call on my mobile and I didn't recognise the number but I answered it anyway (I wish I hadn't) and it was her. She started off by asking after the boys and then how me & Craig were. I asked her if she had another job and she said she was taking care of kids at her house and that she had 6 kids already. She said she loves kids and wants to keep doing it. I wondered if she was ringing to try and get us to put our lads with her so I was trying to think of a nice way of telling her "no" when she asked for our address. She said she wanted to send Jack a birthday card and maybe swing by and see him.

I gave it to her because I'm English and too scared of hurting people's feelings and I am a moron.

Then she went on to say that she dreams about Jack, loves him, misses him and wants to come and see him before his birthday. I have no doubt in my mind that she is obsessed with my son.

Thankfully I did have the wherewithal to get her second name and address and I Googled her and see that she's on Facebook, so at least I know she's reachable. I even looked up her house details on the county auditors site. The house isn't in her name but I think she lives with her aunt. I thought about ringing her back and telling her I don't think her having any kind of relationship with Jack is a good idea but would that make her mad? Mad enough to come and do something? Is it best ignored?

I tried ringing the owner of the day care tonight to ask her opinion but it's a holiday weekend & she didn't answer. I'm going to ask her to be extra vigilant at the day-care center and make sure this woman doesn't show up there.

I am so scared about all this. Craig wanted me to call the police but all the woman has done is say she misses him. But I do want some kind of public record of what's happened - hence this blog tonight.

If anyone has advice for me I'd love to hear it.

4 comments:

MikeH said...

Oh. My. God! That's certainly behavior to make you wonder. I would get in touch with the Day Care people and see if they can tell you antyhing about this lady. They may have had concerns as well which contributed to her being let go. I would not make any contact with the woman, I think that would only encourage her. And I would be vigilant.

I think it's too early for the polie, but do keep a record and if anything untoward occurs you can show them a history.

mountainear said...

Worrying. Hopefully her intentions are innocent if mis-guided.

Certainly keep a record of any contact you have and make sure that the day-care people know of your concerns.

Don't worry too much.

Fredsueand me said...

hey Pam. worrying as this may seem it could be innocent if not quite poorly judged on her part. i would however be guarded and vigilant of the lads as you obviously are and will be.
is this woman of a different culture where this behavior is normal? she maybe just needs to be told that you and craig are not comfortable with her, honesty is the best policy she will know where she stands hopefully, also i hope the day care centre would let her know this is not appropriate as well. try not to worry. take care and love to everyone, lee and sue

Pam said...

Hello all: Good advice: (1) don't respond, (2)be vigilant (3)try not to worry about it.
Hopefully she'll not ring again or come over. I had visions of kidnapping but as each day goes by I calm down and hope that it was just an inappropriate attempt to either get us to use her as a day-care service or to try and stay friends with Jack.