Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Toddlers and Green Food

Once again we packed Jack's lunch bag and I stood back and thought "bloody Nora, all orange again!" I seem to have a penchant for giving him red & orange food: segments of orange, cheese, cherry tomatoes, crackers, and carrots. His daycare workers must think I've got some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder about only eating orange things. If I add protein like chicken, turkey or smoked sausage it really doesn't help the cause.

I know I need to give him GREEN things, but for the life of me I can't think of cold food a toddler will eat that's green. Except jelly.

I met a woman at the park last week who was sat cross-legged on the play equipment with her toddler son sharing a fresh avocado, eating it with spoons like a yogurt. I thought "that's so cool! Me and Jack will do that and look equally hip". That night I bought one and he took one look, wrinkled up his nose and flatly refused to even try it. When I begged him he put his face down in the carpet as far as he could without giving himself friction burns and yelled "no mama!" I have to say after trying it myself I don't blame him. It tasted like butter and had the texture of a gone-off banana.

3 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I do like avocados but can imagine to a lad like Jack it might taste a bit strange but how about green grapes Pam, or kiwi fruit.

Thanks for comment on mine recently - did you track "Percy" down? He is a cartoon man (not a gnome), a park keeper (obviously) with lots of woodland friends. Percy's voice is the great Jim Broadbent (if I remember right).

A x

Emily said...

I totally see women like that at the park - I think they do it because they're proud that their kids eat tofu and asparagus for lunch, while I'm feeding my kids pretzels and fruit snacks. I am awed and inspired by those moms, but don't think my kids have a chance of eating that healthy since I don't, unfortunately. *sigh*

Pam said...

Hi Anne: I'm going to ask my mum to try and get Percy! Thanks for the tip.

Em: We should sit next to the mom giving her child Mountain Dew - that would make us both feel better!