Sunday, March 29, 2009

My 40th Birthday Weekend

I just got back from a fabulous weekend away at Hocking Hills State Park which was my birthday treat from Craig and definitely one I'll remember. It was just my cup of tea. A rustic cabin in the woods. Some mild hiking thrown in that made me feel refreshed without making me beet-red and gasping for breath. Pitch-black skies at night so we could star gaze. And good company of course.

Here's some pictures ...

Our cabin. Jack spent the first hour unpacking his bag into different drawers, organising his teddy-bears on his bed and running to tell me every two minutes that he had a new bedroom. I just liked the quiet and the fact that we didn't take the laptop or use our cell phones for the whole weekend. It was such a relaxing time that we didn't even know what time it was.


Jack loved it & cried all the way home "I don't want to go home!" I said "me neither!"


Danny's first hike. What a little champion he is.


Jack found a cool stick to play with. Cody got to wee on big rocks. I would have liked to have partaken in similar activities but I'm 40 now and have to act responsibly.


This certainly beats trawling around Walmart at the weekend.



First taste of chocolate ice cream. I think he might like it ..


Oh, what a lovely time I had. The knot in my chest disappeared the further we drove out of the city. By the time I was drinking a glass of Merlot and star-gazing with Craig I felt like the luckiest woman on the planet. I partied far too hard of course and ate far too much but it was a big birthday so I'm allowed. I don't feel depressed about being 40 like I know some people do. This weekend has just reiterated how much I absolutely love my life.




Thanks to family & friends who sent cards and pressies. XXX

8 comments:

Emily said...

Happy 40th, Pam!! You deserve the quiet break from the busy life. And how great to have a chance to be reminded how lucky we are. You have a such a positive attitude - I love it!!

And thank you SO MUCH for the darling gifts for David (and Katy). That swimming suit is the CUTEST thing, and he absolutely loves those veggie puffs. Perfect all the way around.

Happy 40th!

mountainear said...

Happy Birthday Pam - your weekend sounds perfect.

Fredsueand me said...

happy birthday pam, your weekend looked fab, lovely place, sue is ringing tonight (uk tonight) take care. lee x x x

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great 40th! Your trip sounded amazing- a real adventure in the woods....I must try it myself. I love the trees...so many of them were cut down in England. We;re surrounded by them where we live now...wonderful.

Glad to have found you via Expat Mum! I'm an expat too- from the UK and now in NY.

bella :)

Mommy Daisy said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you had a great time. I love seeing the photos of Hocking Hills and the state cabins there. I've been there many times. We stayed in those cabins when I was a kid. We took several vacations there. And in the past 10 years we've gone back 3 times, but stayed in different cabins. We just love it there.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Happy 40th birthday Pam. Your weekend picture are lovely and it sounds like you had a really relaxed time.

Life begins at 40 - don't know where that came from but it was certainly true for me. A x

Pam said...

Hi Emily, I've met women that say 40 made them depressed but I'm just not feeling like that. I feel great! Glad David liked his pressie XXX
Mountainear: Our weekend was perfect. Only living on a mountainside in Wales could top it!
Hiya Lee. It was lovely talking to Elsie & thanks for my presents. Miss you all very much XXX
Hi Bella; Welcome, pleased to meet you! I checked out your blog but no entry for a year? Please keep in touch.
Hi MD: Yes, isn't it a gorgeous place. Wish I lived there.
Hello Anne: Life will certainly begin at 40 for me with 3 kids under 3. Yikes! I hope your daughter has a great 4oth birthday too. XXX

Kelsey said...

I can't believe I've lived here nearly 10 years and never been to Hocking Hills! I just went into the other room and told Matt we should look into a weekend there.