Monday, February 09, 2009

Snapshot of Spring

I really do miss the English landscape sometimes. The grass is so green already, the snowdrops are up and some of the dwarf Daffs are in bud. There's probably a few crocuses poking up here and there too.

In Ohio, after what seems like months of snow and ice, we have melt. Yea! Not exactly a horticultural spectacle but at least I can see grass, even if it is brown. The problem now is that the ground is saturated, so every time Cody comes back into the house he brings 4 muddy paws with him. The secret is to catch him at the door and towel-dry his feet before he runs across my wood floors and beige rug and through the house onto our bed. Yesterday he was too quick for me and I did a lot of cursing and shaking my fist at him. I really must stop doing that before Jack copies me.

Anyway, we might not have snowdrops, but we do have these little gems - cardinals. The cardinal is the state bird of Ohio and the male adds such a welcome splash of colour in my garden each winter.

I have to tag on another picture of Jack & Danny too or else I'll be in trouble with the English family. I can't wait to get these two boys outside in the sunshine!



5 comments:

mountainear said...

Beautiful picture of the boys. They'll flourish in the sunshine - but so will we all.

An evil evening here. Rain, sleet and snow and that awful dirtiness that thaw brings. Can't imagine a spring without snowdrops - do you get daffodils or not?

Kelsey said...

Look at those brothers!

I love the cardinals, too, we usually see them out on our patio.

Jen said...

Too bad this warm weather isn't here to stay. I'm definitely ready to trade in my sweaters for short sleeves though.

Love the pic. of the boys. I can definitely see the resemblance.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

The landscape is a bit bleak at the moment Pam - but I know what you mean.

Lovely photo of your beautiful boys. And the cardinal certainly is a bright spot outside. A x

Pam said...

Hi Mountainear: We get snowdrops & daffs here but usually a few weeks after you. Glad you got plowed out today!!
Hi Kelsey: I never get bored of seeing cardinals either
Hi Jen: Cabin fever? me too!
Hi Anne: I laughed at the "bleak" description, but it can be sometimes can't it? I don't miss that part!