Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Save me from the Shopping Channel

Being a stay-at-home mum must take tremendous self discipline. I've already sunk into the depths of day-time telly and grazing from the fridge.

I've been watching Jerry Springer and The Maury Show. These things are addictive. It never ceases to amaze me that people will drag their spouse on telly and announce some horrible secret. The Maury Show is particularly bad, with women saying to their husbands things like "I had an affair 3 years ago and your son might be someone else's child". A paternity test follows and then we sit biting our fingernails as the results are disclosed. I have something else to admit here - I'd LOVE to go to Chicago and be an audience member on the Jerry Springer Show.

Yesterday I watched the live feed of the Caylee Anthony memorial and cried.

Today I watched CNN News and got totally sucked in to all that is weird about America .... I was enthralled by the new law being passed in Alabama to castrate paedophiles. I was dumbfounded that a single, jobless debt-ridden woman from California just had 8 babies when she already has 6 and lives on welfare. I was scared by news of the economy. Infuriated that Merrill Lynch has been giving big bonuses to executives again on the sly. Scared that the tornadoes that hit Oklahoma last night are on their way to Ohio. And so it goes on.....

I finally gave myself a slap around the chops and took Danny out for a big walk to get some fresh air and re-join the human race. I'm going to have to get a grip on myself or I'll progress to wearing my nightie all day, watching the shopping channel and buying decorative plates with pictures of puppies on them.


Here's two good reasons not to become a couch-potato:

3 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Great post Pam - know what you mean about getting hooked on daytime TV. It's a whole new world isn't it? Like you I couldn't believe my eyes or ears. Now I am much more selective or listen to the radio or blog!

What a lovely photo of your beautiful boys. How proud you and Craig must be.

A x

mountainear said...

I don't think those two will let you be much of a couch potato - you'll be kept on your toes and more like a jumping bean.

Not much of a fan of daytime TV either - like SJA I prefer the radio - especially Radio 4. Hope that doesn't sound too boring....

Kelsey said...

This post is too funny. I don't watch too much daytime TV because I usually have something from the night before on the DVR.

I do like our public radio station, too.