Friday, February 20, 2009

Not Singing the Baby Blues This Time

I'm a woman made of stern stuff and yet I was absolutely dreading Craig going back to work this week and leaving me on my own. I think I was worried because last time we did this I got the baby-blues at the same time that he returned to work and I spent the week crying and shuffling about the house in my PJs wondering what life was all about. Not so this time!

This week has really been okay. The lows? - well dealing with the spit-up issue and doctors visit weren't pleasant. I'm also not fond of the 3am-5am period where Danny will not go back to sleep after a feed and I'm convinced I'm the only idiot in the world awake. Then there's the whole "not breathing" thing, where you wish they would sleep deeply but when they do you tip-toe into their room and poke them to make sure they are alive. Done that quite a few times this week.

The highs? My boy Jack making me laugh on a daily basis, even if he did bust my lip. He got into bed with me this morning, poked me in the eye and said "wake up mama! I brought you an elephant". And indeed he had - a plastic one that made funny noises. His friend Katy came over last night so he was happy. I think it's safe to say that Katy is his best friend.

Captain Jack & Crocodile Katy
(costumes courtesy of Nana Lloyd)


Another high is that Danny has started to open his eyes a lot and moves his head to my voice. He also has the most gorgeous smile, even if it is just wind. He sucks in his bottom lip and looks like an old man with no teeth - it sounds creepy but looks adorable, trust me. Just those little things mean the world to me.
And Craig, what a cracker he is. At 4.45am one day this week he took over baby-duty even though he had to go to work that day, because he knew I was on my chin-strap.

So all in all a successful week. This weekend we've got a Mardi Gras party to go to and at some point must catch up with Matt & Gina to have a little drinkie and celebrate their wedding anniversary. It sure is nice to be able to partake in a glass of Chianti again!

1 comment:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Glad to hear things are good Pam. It's all a bit of "day at a time" at the early stage isn't it. Love the picture of Captain Jack and Crocodile Katy and Danny looks a sweetheart.

Hope you enjoy your drinks "do".

A x