Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Danny at 1 Month

Danny's a month old today. He's big & tall, got rolls of fat around his neck & cheeks, got long fingers and toes. Blue eyes, fluffy blonde hair, and just starting to recognise us I think. No smiles yet though.

Two thing I wish would change right now is the spitting up and night time sleeplessness. At 4am this morning after his feed and several burpings he looked all serene and sleepy so I tip-toed over to his crib and laid him down. He immediately opened one eye like Popeye, barfed all over himself and me (for the 2nd time) and started crying. At that point you just want to lie down on the floor and cry yourself don't you. You just want a fairy godmother to come down and make it all right and rub your shoulders and sing the baby to sleep. In reality, you change crib bedding and clothes and burp cloths and bibs and start the whole routine again. Praying all the noise hasn't woken the toddler next door just dying for an excuse to get up and cause mayhem.

When Craig leaves in the morning he says "savour this because it will go by so quickly" and it's true - this month has flown by. But OH, I'm tired and fed-up of baby sick. Sorry to sound so whiny but it's hard to cherish a moment when you smell of sour milk and you haven't showered in two days.

To cheer myself up, I'm going to venture out on a big walk with Cody and the little fella. It's 50 degrees today and sunny - marvelous! Getting some sun on our cheeks is just what the doctor ordered.

8 comments:

mountainear said...

1 month? Already?

I'm with Craig - savour it. My youngest is nearly 27 - he'll always be my babe. I've no problems with him growing older I just wonder where all the time went to - and would like to snatch some of it back.

I do know what a price you're paying; barfing babies (no matter how gorgeous) who don't sleep are exhausting. It's no consolation to know that it will pass - he will sleep soundly (and you'll go in to check that he's still breathing then.

Enjoy the spring sunshine - we have snowdrops and primroses here.

...and please - put a 'u' in savour!

mountainear said...

Should have added - isn't he beautiful?

Pam said...

Mountainear: It's a fair cop! I will put the "u" back where it belongs. I have got lazy with my spelling!

Kelsey said...

He is a beautiful child! I'm sorry about the spitting up and the not sleeping - so frustrating! I wish I had something helpful to add. You don't want to wish their childhoods away, but there are some phases you could really do without, huh?

When I'm frustrated I just try to remember that none of these things (spitting up, sleepless nights, tantrums, etc.) are likely to be the same in another month. Sometimes it doesn't end up being true, but when I'm in the thick of it I try to remember that it's temporary.

Hang in there!

Emily said...

I think it's hard to appreciate the first couple of months because they are just SO INTENSE. I've enjoyed David's babyhood more overall (compared to Katy), but the first weeks, can't say I enjoyed much of anything. The spitting up doesn't sound that bad until you're living it -shudder.

You're doing great, hang in there, and at least the weather is starting to look up - something to look forward to!

Expat mum said...

Definitely get yourself out as much as you can. Put the hood of the buggy down so that he can see everything. He will be so stimulated by trees and clouds etc. that he'll sleep like, well, a baby!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Can hardly believe he is 1 month old already. He is a little beauty though. Can just imagine what you are going through Pam, my son is 41 now and I can still vividly remember the projectile vomiting. Try to enjoy the other times and you will look back and laugh! A x

Pam said...

Hi Kelsey: Thanks. I have been telling myself today that it's going to get better and I hope it's soon. I'm sick of doing 3 loads of washing/day.
Hey Emily: Every time he does a floor "splat" I think of you telling me David did the same thing and it gives me hope!!
Hey Expat: Took your advice and it worked - he slept like a champion. Bit of fresh air works marvelous.
Hi Anne: I know I'll read this and wonder why I whined so much and I'm not usually so lame but it's a bit rough at the minute. He's such a great little lad, I need to get a grip!