Thursday, January 01, 2009

It's all About the Bump

Happy New Year everyone! We've been to 2 parties in two days and I've eaten  a lot but obviously been tee-total, though I did neck a whole bottle of bubbly grape juice last night which made me feel like a rebel and sent me to the loo ten times. The topic of conversation around me now is babies. Whether I want to talk about world affairs, music, films & books matters not - inevitably people steer it back to the most obvious subject in my presence - the large bump that sits out front.

The questions are always the same and generate the same discussions. Here's a small sample:
  • I'm having a c-section. Not by choice, because regardless of what my cheeky husband tells you, I'm not 'too posh to push".  I'm having a c-section because I've had one before, the baby is big and I'm old. I had one before because I'd had a "procedure" for pre-cancerous cells, the baby was big and I was old.
  • No, I am not going to breast feed this time, but hey, thanks for asking nosey-parker. I did last time & had a terrible time. Kudos to women who do.
  • Jack knows he has a baby brother coming. He asked me today how baby Danny is going to get out of my belly. I told him I'd hiccup him out. I was cornered so panic-answered but hopefully I haven't scarred him for life.
  • This is it - no more kids for us. During the section, my Doc is going to tie my tubes. She assures me that it's just another 5 minutes and as she says "well, I'm in there anyway so may as well...".  I hope I don't feel sad about this afterwards, like a choice has been taken away from me. 
I also find that most women want to talk about their experiences too, to share stuff with me and and tell funny stories of obnoxious nurses or embarrassing moments or goofy husbands. I love being a part of it all - it's a club all mothers belong to that unites us and gives us things to talk about, even when we haven't even met before. I'll miss that part of my pregnancy.


4 comments:

Kelsey said...

I wonder if you are more or less anxious about the c-section, having been through it before? I got asked all of those same questions when I was pregnant with Michael. Sounds like you were a good sport!

Expat mum said...

Amazingly, I had a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) after my first. The VBAC baby was my largest and it was relatively easy. I had fully intended to try again with my third, since the first c-section wasn't planned, came after 20 hours of labour and 2 hours of pushing, and was therefore truly a nightmare. Unfortunately, the third had the cord between his knees and every time I had a contraction, his pulse disappeared. I was very disappointed, but what can you do?

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I'd love to be able to witness Jack's reaction the next time someone hiccups. Know what you mean about panic reaction though!

A x

Pam said...

Hi Kelsey: I had a fabulous experience with my first c-section so I'm okay with it. My recovery was quick and I didn't have any problems- hopefully that'll be the case this time too.
Hi ExpatMum: My doc didn't really offer a VBAC and I'm not sure I'd want one as my section was so good last time. 3 kids? You're my hero!!
Hi Anne: Yes, I know, what a daft reply - should have had something prepared I think!!!