Thursday, January 29, 2009

Danny's Birth Day

Thank heavens for friends! With 8 inches of snow and 1 inch of ice landing in Ohio yesterday we really had to rely on the good will of others to help with our lad's birth. Day care was closed so Brian & Emily took care of Jack. He thought it was Christmas, getting to spend the whole day playing with his 2024 prom date, Katy. Thanks guys - much appreciated!

Once we got to the hospital everything went tickety-boo. Unless of course I mention one of the nurses, who I nicknamed "the butcher". This woman must have been raised to handle wild boars because she made the IV and catheter insertion so painful I shouted out "Christ!" at one point and poor Craig had to sit down because he got a bit wobbly watching her try and shove things in me. Also, her version of "I'm just going to shave your c-section area" feel like I was being thrown onto my back and sheared like a prize Welsh Mountain sheep.

Anyway, the rest of the c-section went GREAT. Sorry to sound all chirpy about it but this has been my second c-section where the spinal tap and the surgery and everything else that's supposed to be horrific was actually a fab experience. Craig was great, keeping my mind of things that were happening behind the blue curtain. After about 30 minutes we heard the doctor exclaim "my word, he's a big one!" and we looked at each other and got choked up as we heard him cry out for the first time. Here he is, with his dad. He's about 2 minutes old...



I didn't get to see him then for 4 hours as I was in the recovery room, but Craig went up to the nursery and cuddled him for a while. Last night I got myself up and my recovery is going great. He's been so quiet and sleepy so far but today he looked me right in the eye for about 5 minutes and I fell completely and hopelessly in love with him. He's got really soft, downy blond hair that smells wonderful, and he's got slate-blue eyes and kissable chubby cheeks.


Talking of completely in love with things. Here's our two lads together for the first time ...


.

8 comments:

Fredsueand me said...

fantastic pam, so glad everything went as planned, he is gorgeous and sounds like you have done really well. hope your recovery goes well and you manage to get enough sleep in the coming days, you really do hit the ground running when a baby comes eh. give our love to craig and a kiss to jack and danny. lots of love. well done. lee x x

mountainear said...

Isn't he big and beautiful? Lovely seeing him with Jack.

Rest while you can.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful early moments Pam. I am so pleased for you all that Danny is now safely delivered and you can begin getting to know one another. I expect Jack feels proud of his 'big brother' status.

Hope you are feeling OK and that you are soon fully recovered.

Anne x

Jen said...

Congrats Pam and family! Danny is beautiful!

Emily said...

Beautiful, he's absolutley beautiful. Can't wait to see him!!

Pam said...

Hi everyone,
Thanks again for leaving thses comments - it warms my cockles!
Everything is going great and I'm thanking my lucky stars every day that these two healthy boys are mine :-)

Clippy Mat said...

awww that's lovely. what wonderful pics of 'your lads'. why is there always one nurse who is rough? hopefully the rest are making up for her.
he is a real little picture though. take care, enjoy
:-))

bluedaisy said...

Hey, I am visiting from Emily's blog. Congratulations!! We have two boys also and seeing your boys together brought tears to my eyes. Your children are beautiful and if I lived close (and knew you in real life), I'd have to come hold that little bundle of baby! God bless your family :)