Monday, December 08, 2008

Stranger than Fiction: FLDS

I am about 3/4 of the way through "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop and I am hooked on this book. I can't put it down and I even dreamt about it last night.

Carolyn was married to a prominent member of the FLDS church and she had 8 children in 15 years before she escaped in 2003. All together her husband, Merrill Jessop, had 7 wives and over 50 kids. He was an abusive psycho & his wives were no better. Carolyn's story is far more outrageous than any fiction book I've ever read and I have to keep reading portions out to Craig, to try and make sense of it. 

I read a little and then have to put the book down so I can heave a big sigh to make myself calm, or I have to put it down because I'm infuriated, or I have to gather my thoughts because I'm so upset by how much abuse the kids are subjected to.  When I read about the 400 kids being taken away this summer because of Warren Jeff's arrest, I felt a bit sorry for the parents but no more. Absolutely no more. Not as long as the women and children in these families are treated as badly as they are.

This last month,  I believe Merrill Jessop was arrested for performing a marriage ceremony for a 12 year old girl. He had taken over the ranch in AZ after Jeff's arrest. I hope someone bumps him off in Jail or at least gives him a taste of his own medicine. How can I be so callous? Well, I just read the part in the book where his 2-year old son is diagnosed with cancer and he needs life-saving surgery but he tells Carolyn the surgery isn't necessary, that the illness is her fault, for not being an obedient wife. 

Here's Carolyn now:





This book is also being made into a film. Catherine Heigl is going to play Carolyn but I'm not sure when it's coming out. This is a must read - harrowing but absolutely enthralling at the same time.

2 comments:

Oma Froehle said...

Pam: I read this book last year; and I was furious as well. I have also watched with interest (and a few cheers!) as Merrill Jessop has finally been prosecuted for SOMETHING! What a pig! (This is the nicest word I can use on a family blog.)

Greg thought I was crazy for reading "Escape"; but then I started reading "The Natasha's" about white slavery. He almost had to sedate me over this one. I've been reading fiction the last couple of months. It makes it easier to sleep at night.

Pam said...

Hi Oma! It's a great book isn't it, but gets you so involved. I just ordered "Stolen Innocence" from the library, so am obviously still in the mood to read about hardship. I'll check out "The Natasha's" too!
Must get it out of my system before Christmas ...