Monday, November 10, 2008

Veteran's Day - Two Little Boys

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day in the USA (Remembrance Day in England), held on the anniversary of the World War 1 ceasefire at 11am on 11th November 1918. In England, people wear poppies on their lapels as a sign of remembrance. In the USA there will be parades and services for American veteran's of all wars.

This past week I read a short piece on the BBC website about some of the last soldiers to die in the Great War, including Henry Gunther from Baltimore, who died at 10.59am, just one minute short of the ceasefire. Even though everyone knew the end was just moments away, they fought to the end. It's so very very sad.

I also saw today that Rolf Harris is going to re-record "Two Little Boys" to mark the 90th anniversary of the ceasefire. This is the only song in existence that makes me cry. There's plenty of books and films that do, but not songs, bar this one. So I'm going to post it on my blog for you all to sit down and enjoy for a moment.
It was a number 1 hit in England 40 years ago and much loved in Australia & Europe. Was it loved in the USA? I have no idea and will have to ask an American friend ....


2 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It makes me cry too Pam, whenever I hear it. I heard Rolf Harris talking about the song on Sunday and he was emotional because since recording it the first time he has found out that his father and his uncle both went to war, but his uncle was killed in action. The two had been inseparable as boys, had tried to join up together but the uncle had to wait a year or two because he was too young. Eventually he went off but by then had to join a different regiment. Both knew where the other was and RH's dad knew his brother was taking part in action on the day he was injured. But unlike the song - couldn't get to him. Quite a poignant story!

My 4 year old grand-daughter loves it and it is one of her bedtime songs. It doesn't make her cry - she loves it because it is about little boys!

A x

Expat mum said...

My kids must be the only kids in the USA who know all the words, and the little one never understands why my voice gets "wobbly" at the end.
The funniest bit is when my middle child used to start the 2nd verse off with "Long years past, walking so fast", instead of 'war came so fast'.
Ah!
PS. We actually have "Rolf Harris' Greatest Hits" on CD!