Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Three Book Reviews

1. The Oxford Project
Photographs were taken of every day people in Oxford, Iowa 20 years ago and then again recently. The author has captured the inhabitants of the town and their stories. For example, this little girl was 3 years old when her mum, travelling with the carnival, dropped her at the church with her dog and a sign around her neck saying she needed taking care of.
I got the book out from the library as it's a new hardback, big & expensive, but well worth a look ...

2. A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
I bought this at a thrift shop and was influenced by the big "Oprah's Book Club" sticker on the front. I have to admit I have yet to read a stinker that's been endorsed by her. This is about a young man in the 40's in Louisiana on death row. His aunt wants him to be educated so that he doesn't die as ignorant as a hog. His character is amazing because he is indeed uneducated but he has the whole world sussed out and knows his place in it. I cried at the end, but then I cry over dropped hats. If you are too lazy to read the book, you can always rent the film ....




3. Birds without Wings by Louis De Bernieres
Recommended by Mountainear. This book is set in a little town in Eskibahçe, in the waning days of the Ottoman Empire during World War 1. I got to really like some of the characters and I also learnt so much about the Great War. I admit I knew nothing about this area of the world and it's history and now I feel like I have a better understanding of it, but the book also made me despair at the atrocities of mankind in the war and since. It's a big book and not a light read at all but I loved it. My only slight niggle is that the author dragged it on about 10 pages too long, couldn't seem to bring himself to finish it.

So that's it, my latest three reads. I just started "Their eyes were watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston.

3 comments:

mountainear said...

Glad you stuck with it - I agree about it dragging on somewhat. I found myself wanting to follow the stories about the characters I had come to know - and love. Good way of mugging up on history though isn't it? If you haven't already try 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' - read the book rather than the movie. The devil is in the detail. Close your eyes and listen to Hummel's Mandolin Concerto. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IDKfdj9zEfk)

Shall look for the Oxford Project but it might not find its way to rural Shropshire.

Kelsey said...

I LOVE Their Eyes Were Watching God! I read that book in college and loved it so much the paper I wrote to go with it is probably one of the best things I've ever written - I was inspired. I hope you enjoy it.

Oddly, I did not really care for the interpretation done for television several years ago.

Jen said...

How do you find time to read? I have stacks of magazines that I subscribe to that go unread for months. Then, when I try to read before bed, I end up falling asleep before I've finished one page.

Enjoy your reading time. It gets less and less with each child you add to the family. =)