Monday, November 17, 2008

Post Office Nonsense

We had a dusting of snow this morning and biting cold wind. The sight depressed me to no end because it means we've got another 5 months of ice, snow and treacherous driving that makes up a typical Ohio winter. The driving thing is the worst because all the fools that drive badly on dry roads don't know how to drive on ice and invariably end up either mounted up a pole, skidded into a ditch or trying to kill me.   My drive to day care each morning is like running the gauntlet of idiots.  I love my little car in good weather but at this time of year I always wish I had a Hummer so I could cheerfully barge my way through it all. 

Tonight it has turned into more than a "dusting" as you can see ...

Hopefully it won't stick but I'm already a tad worried about tomorrow's drive. Once the first few snow drives are out of the way it's not too bad but those first few times are terrible. 
Wish me luck ...

A little tag-on story that happened today on the way home from work - I stopped by the Post Office to pick up a Christmas parcel from my mum that needed to be signed for. I gave the attendant the pink bit of paper that had been dropped in the mailbox and my ID. She looked at me and said "The parcel is not for you, it's for Jack".  I smiled at her and replied "Yes, sorry, but I'm his mum. He's two". She said "Well, it's addressed to him and it needs signing by him".  What? I replied, as nicely as I could but with an edge in my voice I couldn't help, "He's TWO and can't drive here, or sign for it". She calmly looked at me, knowing full well that she was the one in the right and the one with the procedures to back her up, and she gave me a very loud & triumphant lecture on how things should be done in the future.  It took a cup of tea and a good hour of making up scenarios about getting her fired for me to calm down. 

2 comments:

Expat mum said...

We had some snow here but it's gone now - too cold for snow. We are wearing glam balaclavas and down coats - already!!

Pam said...

Hey Expat Mum: It's brass monkeys here too now - hope you keep warm!