Monday, November 03, 2008

The Purple Dinosaur from Hell

Jack loves Barney and asks several times a day to put Barney DVDs on. I try and get him to watch Leapfrog or Sesame Street or Noggin but he chants "Barney!" until he wears me down.

Here's the thing. I absolutely detest Barney and all his friends. Especially the little yellow one that has a gravelly voice that sounds like he smokes 40 Marlboro a day. And the green one with a big flat head brings out something close to rage in me. I mean, I could quite easily drive over the lot of them if I ever saw them on a sidewalk.

I happened to get onto this subject with another mum at work and she confessed she felt the same. Turns out there's a whole society out there that can't stand them either. There's even websites dedicated to hating them.

What is it about Barney that brings out my dark side I wonder?

5 comments:

Jen said...

It has to be the ridiculous songs they sing. My kids like it too, but thankfully, they only catch it on PBS occasionally.

Mommy Daisy said...

I can't stand Barney either. But he is my son's current favorite. Ugh! They will outgrow him right?

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, Pam, I am laughing hysterically! I swore I wouldn't let Katy get into Barney, but when someone handed down a VHS tape and I let her watch it once, she was hooked. Then we won Mommy Daisy's DVD, so yeah... and I totally agree - what's up with the yellow one with the knarly voice? And where do they find those child actors who can't act or sing?

Heidi said...

Barney who? he's never been to my house.... Probably because I would slam the darn door in his face.

Pam said...

Hi Jen, MD and Emily: 3 more mums that don't like the purple one! We should all gang up and ban him from living rooms ...
Hey Heidi: You are right to slam that door my friend. Keep the bugger out.