Monday, November 24, 2008

My Favourite Christmas Present

Tonight Jack told us that he wants Santa to bring him a bike and a hat for Christmas. He's been obsessed with bikes for a while but not sure where the hat request came from.

It got me thinking about what my favourite present was as a kid, so I got my old pictures out when I got home and found this. It was taken in 1979 (I was 10) and I got a Merlin for Christmas! It was the absolute best present I ever got and I played with it for hours and hours. I can still remember the feeling of excitement when I opened the wrapping paper because I had wanted a Merlin for ages and probably pestered my mum to death about it. Craig said he really wanted one too but they were too expensive. That makes me feel a bit guilty because we didn't have any money growing up either, so my mum must have scrimped to get it.

The Merlin was one of the first computer toys and it had 6 games on it, including a music memory game and blackjack. I actually found an old commercial for it on YouTube tonight that made me smile and brought back some great memories of my childhood.

Do you remember what your favourite present was?

4 comments:

ethellloyd said...

cant remember your presents when you was little,only the ungodly hour you used to get me up every christmas morning by jumping all over me in bed.You tried to stay up every Christmas eve to catch santa but never made it.Just getting used to this blogging system so be patient with you old Mum.love you.xxxxx

mountainear said...

I'd have been about 13 I suppose and I was given a little transistor radio - it ran off batteries which seemed to last forever. I loved that radio - it saw me through all my school days, student days through into married life and way into mummy-hood. It went every where - under the sheets, on the side of the bath - got so many memories of the music I heard first from the pirate stations...John Peels 'Perfumed Garden' - on Radio London I think.
...will shut up now before I bore everyone to tears.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Hi Pam - just realised you were born the same year as my daughter! So that means I've had to really think hard about my favourite present as a child. Anyhow, my cousin and I were each given a doll's draped crib - hers was pink and mine blue and we were thrilled to bits with them. I'd have been about 6 years old I expect!

A x

Pam said...

Hiya mum! It's about time we got you on here. Hopefully you'll start your own blog...
Hi Mountainear: I'm glad you didn't drop it in the bath! Thanks for the recommendation for Captain Morelli's mandolin - my next read
Hi Anne: 1969 was a good year :-)