Saturday, November 29, 2008

Kids & Guns = Bad Idea

Craig did his hunter's education course today then got his license tonight. That means he can go out into the woods and shoot a deer this week. He's wanted to go hunting for a few years but I've begged him not to as I can't imagine shooting an animal. It's not really my choice though and since I've lived here I have relaxed my opinions somewhat on deer hunting. 

Deer are everywhere in Ohio* and they cause a lot of carnage on the roads. At dusk they run out onto the road and run head-long into your car. If you have a Hummer of big SUV you are probably going to be okay but in a small car like mine it would probably come crashing through the windscreen and kill me.  A friend of mine hit one a few years ago and he drove a Jeep but the deer came through the windscreen and he was lucky to walk away. Anyway, regardless of your opinions on deer hunting, it is legal in Ohio during certain times and this coming week (Craig's birthday) is the time. 

Craig has talked to me a lot about it and I think he understands what's in store if he shoots one, he's also good with guns and very safety conscious. I imagined that you shot it, dragged it to your truck and drove it on over to a trusty butcher to process the meat. I imagined that the worst possible thing about the whole task of killing a deer would be pulling the trigger. I didn't know that hunters have to "field dress" the deer before they get it to their truck, which involves removing all of the organs of the animal.

When he got back from his class tonight I was badgering him with questions about it and I was surprised by his stories.  A lot of his classmates were kids, some just 12 years old. Some had parents with them that were allowed to help them with the test as they were too young to comprehend the questions. One of the kids asked the instructor if it was okay to shoot a deer with an air rifle. This worries me a lot because these are the people that will be wandering around in the woods armed at the same time as my husband. I told him he better wear orange from the tip of his head to his number 13 boots, and if he hears that Dick Cheney is in town, he's to come home immediately.

*ODNR state that there are more deer in Ohio now than when Christopher Columbus landed in the new world. I guess someone ran straight over here and counted them!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Hunting is HUGE up in Wisconsin where I grew up. My dad doesn't hunt but some of my uncles and some of our family friends did and my brother wanted to learn. He took a hunting safety class when he was 12 and went deer hunting several times. I believe he learned to hunt with a rifle, but also with a crossbow. The fortunate part is that most hunters have a real respect for hunting and know how to keep themselves and those around them safe. You'll never find me dressed in orange up in a tree stand though!