Thursday, September 18, 2008

Life without Electric: Day 5

It's really not been that bad. There's people far worse off than us after Ike. We have water and the weather is currently perfect, so there's no need for heat or AC. But in the interest of writing and just mentioning some of the pain-in-the-arse things I've previously taken for granted in my electric-powered past, here's my list of annoyances:

1. Holding a torch between my teeth while I attempt to take out/put in my contact lenses without leaning in so far that I bang the torch against the mirror and bash my teeth in. I do it every bloody time.

2. Feeling guilty every time I open the fridge door because warm air will immediately get sucked in there and destroy all the food and we'll all get food poisoning and die. Or so I've been told.

3. Leaving the house each morning with wet hair that then turns into a frizzy mess. I always feel bad that I don't preen my hair as it is, without turning up to work looking like a man.

4. Waking up at night and not knowing what time it is. I don't know if it's 1am (ah, lots of sleepy time left) or 6am (bugger, only 1 more hour till I have to get up). This really unnerves me.

5. Not having any music or TV. I suppose we could spend our evenings "going at it like rabbits" but the job's already done so that's a bit redundant. It's no wonder our ancestors had so many kids is it.

The good news is that I just started a great book (The Life of Pi) and Jack seems to be enjoying himself regardless (see picture above of camp light story time). I do hope the electric comes back on soon though. It's getting REAL OLD, as they say here.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for checking on us. We're good here...never lost power, just lots of downed limbs in our neighborhood. We left for a short trip on Monday (planned in advance) and came back yesterday. Thankfully, the storm didn't ruin our plans. Hopefully your power will be back on soon.

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

Jen - glad you are okay. Looking forward to seeing a post soon..

Fredsueand me said...

hey pam, hope your power is back on soon, sounds like a pain in the arse. it drives me mad when it goes off here for an hour. hpe you enjoy life of pi, i read it a couple of years ago and loved it, its the most bonkers story, bet you beleive every word, mark of a good one i suppose. take care. love lee.