Monday, September 08, 2008

Flight, Arrival, Week so Far ...

On the way here I sat next to Rita, a rather friendly woman from Leeds who'd been to visit her son in Nashville. She was a lovely woman and I enjoyed her company but it sure would have been nice to sleep on the plane between 7pm and 7am. When we landed in Manchester my nerves were frayed and I was thinking murderous thoughts about the poor woman.

I got off the plane to RAIN. Buckets and buckets that splashed over my flip-flops (it was 90 and sunny when I left home) and soaked me wet-through in 5 minutes. Typical!
And I had a full day's work ahead of me, knowing I hadn't slept for 2 days (thanks Rita).

The drive from Manchester to my destination was scary to say the least. A manual transmission, different side of the road, lashing with rain and I had to navigate the M56, M6 and M55. By the time I got there my knuckles were white and I was breathing like a sex maniac.

So far it's been expensive but great. In between working I'm seeing all my loved ones. I got to have lunch with my mum, see my new great-nephew, and mooch about shops that have English things that I've missed. I also got to see the Red Devils at an airshow and I've already eaten enough English food to sink a ship. How I've dreamed of pork & pickle pies!

I miss Craig and Jack badly. Thank God for my mobile phone so we can ring each other. Hearing Jack say "hello mummy" every day is enough to keep me sane. Craig seems to be coping so far but did say he's having some issues "getting things done". I assume this tranlsates into "the house will be a pig sty on your return"....

1 comment:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Hi Pam - didn't realise you were over in UK - poor you arriving in the awful weather we've been having most of the summer. And after no sleep as well.

It is lovely to catch up with family after a separation and of course you are missing your 'boys' but think of the homecoming.

Glad to hear that Craig and Jack are coping by the way!

Safe home journey.

A x