Thursday, September 25, 2008

At the Airport

I went to pick mum & Auntie Edna up from the airport and ended up having to wait an hour and a half. It was late & all the shops were shut so I couldn't read, or drink coffee, or mooch about the Bath & Body Works trying on the testers.

I went & sat at the gate as I love to watch people coming through and reuniting with loved ones. There's always lots of tears and hugs and kids yelping with joy to see their dad coming home or long distance grandma.

As I was sitting there I noticed a woman in front of me, stood leaning against a post. She was really attractive & very put together which always makes me a bit self conscious, and bitchy if I'm honest. I'm looking at her thinking "her calfs are so toned she looks like a thoroughbred horse. Her tan is too dark, she looks silly. Her hair is too poofy" and so on. These are thoughts that popped into my head purely because I looked like a 39 year old mother covered in yoghurt and soil, with no make-up on and a weeks worth of leg stubble. Anyway, her man came through the gate and she ran to him, leaning up on tip-toes to throw her arms around him and kiss him. It was obvious that she loved this man wholeheartedly. She wiped away a tear as she back away to look at him before hugging him again. The whole time she did this he was looking at his open cell phone and was even looking at the screen as she kissed him. As she hugged him tight he leaned over her shoulder and still looked at it, like he was texting or something.
She linked her arm through his and they walked away, her happy and smiling at him, him finally closing his cell phone but looking around him for anything of interest, other than her. I was so mad for her, felt so protective of her. I felt like running up to her and telling her how gorgeous she is, how much more worthy than him she is. Instead I put on my best feminist face and scowled at him.

Then I turned around and saw them - two white-haired ladies, clutching handbags and waving like crazy at me. After hugs and tears and kisses they both said in unison "we'd murder a cup of tea!"

3 comments:

Swearing Mother said...

I guess that's why the tanned, toned one is so well put together, she's trying to spark some interest in her disinterested bloke. To no effect, it sounds to me.

I always think extremely done up women are striving for something they're not getting, whereas some of the most content and well loved women I know have at least a week's worth of leg stubble at any given time.

mountainear said...

Can't beat people watching - so many lives, so many stories. I love grave yards and the 'Births, Marriages and Deaths' columns for the same reason.

Hope your mum and auntie enjoy their stay.

Emily said...

Ewww...what a jerk! Good story, interesting...

I think that sounds like a perfectly lovely evening - an hour and a half of people watching at the airport and then being reunited with your own loved ones.