Sunday, August 03, 2008

State fair

Today we did our annual pilgrimage to the State Fair. Reasons for going are of course the animals, fairground rides, food, and people-watching.

Jack loved the animals and got to ride a pony again. We finally saw a lot of the show cows and horses that we hadn't seen before after we we ran into Todd, Kelli & Hannah and they showed us where they were. Some of the horses were Shire Horses, which always remind me of my home in Lancashire. This has probably more to do with the fact that many of the photographs of Lancashire have them in, as I can't recall seeing too many of them when I was growing up. One thing I did find amusing today was watching the bull show. The people that show them have this long pole that they use to make the bull stand a certain way and they also use it to "stroke" the bull underneath, to keep it perked up and listening to commands I suppose. It sounds like one of those jobs you really wouldn't tell someone about the first time you met them.


My favourite today - the bald eagle at the bird sanctuary. What an amazing bird!

I also like to people-watch but was most disappointed this year as everone looked normal, or am I blending in?

Best food stall I saw - "Deep fried garlic mashed potatoes on a stick". If you don't believe me I can post picture evidence.

Lastly, when we take pictures now & say 'Jack, say cheese!" or "Jack smile!", he now GURNS. Only two people from northern England could have a child that suddenely decides to gurn, all of his own accord. Little scoundrel.


3 comments:

Emily said...

I clicked on the link and I'm still not sure I understand gurning, but it sure looks interesting!

Glad you guys had fun, Jack is such a cutie pie! I love how his hair flips up at the bottom these days...

Oma Froehle said...

I didn't know that face had a name. I've seen it for years. :-)

Granny and Grandpa (my parents) didn't go to the fair this year. There will be a guy there selling elephant ears wondering where the skinny guy with the John Deere hat is eating this year. Dad ALWAYS eats an elephant ear.

Mommy Daisy said...

Oh, we really want to go to the state fair, but I don't know if we'll make the trip. I know Matt really wants to go once, but we'll have to see. Doesn't look promising at this point. At least we can go to the local county fair in a few weeks.