Friday, May 30, 2008

Bum Sore

Jack has nappy rash and is in pain.

It makes me wince every time I have to change him. He grabs me round the neck and wails NOOOOOOO! like I'm going to throw him to the lions.

Then as soon as he's on the changing table it's like something out of WWF. I'm actually secretly impressed that a 2 year old can put up so much of a fight but of course I don't show him my underlying admiration, instead I wrestle with his legs and say things like, "this won't hurt", knowing full well it's going to hurt like hell.

Nappy rash is just bloody awful - I mean it's blood red and weeping and would bring even the most hardy adult to his knees. The last two days I've tried powder, creams, baths, bum soaks in the sink (please try not to remember that if you ever come to dine with us), and lots of "nappy free" time which always results in a wet floor (or leg, as I found out tonight).

After the dreaded nappy change, the poor little lad gets down from the table and waddles off, doing his best John Wayne impression and saying "bum sore" over and over, in case I seem to have missed the point.

I'm trying Jack love, I really am.

8 comments:

RuthMcC said...

Hiya

You gotta try Boudreaux's Butt Paste, it really works on nappy rash. Go to either http://www.buttpaste.co.uk or http://www.buttpaste.com and see if they'll send you a free sample..

Ruthy

Fredsueand me said...

gold bond every time, works for me, remember our last visit. its cooling and makes you say aahhhhhhh. poor little man.

Fredsueand me said...

Hi Pam, its Sue. Ignore Lee-Gold Bond is for chapped plumbs not nappy rash. I found that you cant beat SUDOCREAM. I use it still on everything its ace. I used to use it on my horses sore feet and it works wonders for sore bottoms.Bless him, I will ring you again tommorow, lots of love xxxx

Jen said...

We usually use parent's choice diaper rash cream (wal-mart) and then slather on the aquaphor. Although aquaphor isn't specifically made for that, it provides a good barrier against the wetness of the diaper. Hope Jack is feeling better soon!

P.S. If you decide to go the route of Boudreaux's Butt Paste, they carry it at Wal-mart in the baby section.

Emily said...

I have several tubes of the butt paste if you want it. We'll be home Sunday afternoon if you want to come over and get one. But personally I've had better luck with Desitin. Don't you love all the different advice? :)

Jen said...

Hi Pam! Any luck with Jack's rash yet? I was just thinking last night that Ellie had a horrible rash once that turned out to be caused by some sort of yeast infection (she picked it up in our church nursery...lovely, I know). Anyway, we had to get a prescription for it to clear up. Just wanted to through another possibility your way.

Pam said...

Thanks to everyone for giving advice on Jack's nappy rash. It's great to know I have friends who like talking about bums!!!

I've got some butt paste and Sudocream. Lee mate - thanks for the Gold Bond idea but Sue sounds a bit wary?
I think Jen may be right though - it went WAY beyond any of our wonder-creams. Now it's scabbed over (mmm, nice) so not as sore.

Expat mum said...

Ah bless. I also love the butt paste, but also found the Sudocream worked. Mine used to get a fungal rash, which is apparently a bit worse and can actually be treated (in an instant it seemed) by a presciption cream. Your doc would know by looking at the rash. I was amazed at what I'd been putting up with - or rather, the tot had been putting up with.