Thursday, April 03, 2008

A Taste of Things to Come

Every day this week, on the way home, we've taken Jack to his new child care place so that he's not terrified of it when he starts next week.

Yesterday they had a lady there, Julie, who does music with the kids. She comes once a week and brings her cd player and microphone and she does all kinds of songs and dance with them. Jack and I sat on the floor with the kids, him sat on my knee while he's still a bit scared. She put the music on for "Twinkle twinkle little star" and the kids jumped up on their feet, so excited about singing. There's only about 10 kids there right now, with it being a new venture, so I know each of them already.

As they all started singing Julie went to the first in line, Alex (3) and put the microphone up to her mouth and she started singing in this tiny little voice "twinkle twinkle..." - it was such a lovely sound, to hear a 3 year old singing. Julie then went from child to child, giving each their turn to shine. You could see the confidence building in the kids before your very eyes. Course she got to Jack (still near me but off my knee) and he looked horrifed and clung onto me, but that's to be expected.

I spent the next hour watching kids from Jack's age to five, singing and marching and dancing with reckless abandon. They have no shame or lack of confidence and they were delighted by the simplest things, like waving paper plates with smiley faces on. It was a such wonderful thing to watch that it's stayed with me all day today too.

No comments: