Friday, March 21, 2008

Wise Old Bugger

Years ago, when I got my degree my mum was so proud. She came to the ceremony and she gave me "wise old owl" that she had knitted. I had flu that day and I really wanted to party but ended up just going home to bed. I never really looked at owl. Never cared about him really.

When we emigrated to the USA in 99 we only brought 2 bags each. We had a house back in the UK so you can imagine what a nightmare it was to only have 2 bags to bring your precious things. We stored some , gave most away. Craig was finding minuscule pores of space in the suitcase and shoving in a spoon -it was that desperate!

Anyway, owl was one of the precious things that came in my bag and he has been here gathering dust for 9 years, until today.

When I was clearing out a room tonight I really looked at him, and the details that went into him - he has the graduating cap & tassel, diploma and dickie-bow. I sat for a long time in the spare room with owl, wishing I could have rung my mum (but it's 4am in England) and told her how much I appreciate Mr. Owl. And Her. I love you mum.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Isn't it funny how we take the things our moms did for granted until we become moms ourselves? I guess we learn to appreciate all the hard work that goes into being a mom. Very cute owl!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I loved this tale - mums are the best invention in the world. I miss mine.