Sunday, February 03, 2008

Diets, DIY and The Dreaded Croup

The little fella has croup. This morning about 6am he started this bloody awful cough that jolted us both awake. We lay there for a few minutes listening to this cough, which does indeed sound like a baby seal barking. Whoever came up with that description is 100% spot-on.

I went into his room and held him in my arms while his little body just shook and rattled while he tried to breath. It was very frightening and I felt completely helpless. A call to the Doc didn't help much either - just keep him hydrated and get him into a steamy bathroom if it happens again tonight (oh, please no). It doesn't help when you read about it and it says things like "watch for blue lips which indicated lack of oxygen". I'll not sleep a wink tonight for worrying.

By the way - there are no daytime symptoms. He's been happy as Larry today, running around and being himself. I had to get a photo of him in this set-up - he insisted on wearing his pumpkin cape and ear defenders for most of the afternoon. He gets his dress sense from his dad.

----------------------------------------

We have started 3 new house DIY projects:

1. Tile the fireplace surround and hearth
2. Paint the living room ( was lilac, now gold. Not Liberace gold, bit more subdued)
3. Install the new telly in the bedroom (Craig working on that as I type)

I'll post "before & afters" this week.

------------------------------------------


Lastly, one week on from our healthy lifestyle campaign, we have both lost 10 pounds (fat, not sterling). I just hope we can keep going and that this time next week I'm not sat here saying we've eaten like ogres, drank like sailors and put it all back on. Wish us luck!

4 comments:

Emily said...

So weird that Katy and Jack ended up with it at the same time... they haven't seen in other in a couple weeks, right? So it doesn't seem like they would've gotten it from each other... strange.

I really hope you have a good night tonight. I'm hoping for the same. Katy's not in her regular sleeping place so I hope she doesn't wake up a lot. Talk to you soon.

Jen said...

Sorry to hear that Jack is under the weather. Hopefully he'll be back to his sweet self soon. Also, congrats on your weight loss...keep up the good work!

Glad to see I made your list of favorite sites. =) I've added you to mine as well!

Oma Froehle said...

Woo Hoo on the weight loss! You, go, girl!

I am having a lazy spell with my weight. I am 2 or 3 pounds over my goal and having a hard time getting motivated to exercise because it is dark and cold when I'm not working.

You inspire me! Now I have to get busy.

hallhead said...

Glad Jacks ok.Love to Katy too.Love to see how you all keep in touch.I am a nosey person at best of times.Mumxxxxxxx