Thursday, January 31, 2008

Weight Watchers & Wind

The two titles aren't related, in case you were worried.

Well, today I joined WW, which I have fought for years. Even when friends around me have lost loads of weight and swear by the method I've always thought I was too busy to count points. The thought of being so finnicky as to measure out cheese gives me the shivers. I've relented because I'm ready for a life-style change and I think this might be the program that teaches me about food and portions and how to eat properly. Weighing myself in front of 30 women was a bit daunting but they all stayed respectfully at a distance and pretended to inspect their nails when I got on the scale. I weighed more than I thought and even had a moment of indignance (huh! her scales must be wrong) but now I've got used to the idea and I'm ready to get going. Thankfully, beer is not out of the question. If I drink light beer (and I found an Amber light beer that doesn't taste like knat's pee) then it's only 2 points, so if I store points I can really go crazy on weekends!
If all else fails, I'll buy one of these mirrors from Wallmart.....

-------------------------------------------


Now - about the wind. On Tuesday night, and indeed forecast for tonight, the wind was ferocious. When I was a child I would lie in bed listening to the wind and I would feel snug and secure. Even though we lived next to a small wood I always just felt safe, and I actually used to enjoy the sounds. On Tuesday night I woke up as the wind was battering against the windows and I thought "the trees next to the house will fall and kill us, a branch will fall on the house and smash it up, do we have "wind" insurance"? I must call our insurance agent in the morning and find out. What's his number? Mmmm, can't remember now, but think it's written down. Arghhh, what was that? Oh God, a branch has snapped. And so it went on and on and on... for a couple of hours until I must have been so exhausted I fell asleep. What a difference "responsibility" makes.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You go, Pam! As you know, I'm a big fan of "Dub dub" as we call it. It has really helped Brian and I tremendously in the past. And after this baby comes, I would love to join you in the endeavor. I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot to lose. eeesh... But I really think it is one of the healthiest overall programs out there.