Monday, December 24, 2007

There's no place like home..

We're home! We tried to leave England on Saturday but our flight was cancelled because the pilots were "out of hours" (drunk) so we finally got to the USA on Sunday but then had another cancelled flight and had to spend the night in Chicago last night.

The return trip might have been semi-bearable had we not had an 18-month along with us. He was a little trouper but there's only so much a toddler can endure. The low point was last night at the Chicago airport shuttle bus station, waiting for a shuttle to our hotel. It was minus 22 with the wind-chill and there were grown men pushing us out of the way to get on the bus. Those of you that know us know that my husband is an even-keel kind of guy, very laid back. Last night he was at the end of his rope and he took charge - getting us on the bus and demanding help from the airlines. I'm usually the organiser and the one that does those things but I was too weary and on the verge of tears the whole time - but I think 50 hours of travelling will do that to you.

Anyway, we're home now so musn't let it spoil Christmas. We have no tree and we haven't even bought Jack his present but he has lots here from England and he's always a cheery soul. My mum wrote me a letter to read on the plane when we left and she ended by telling me that we can endure anything in life because we have Jack, and she's right.

I'll post pictures from our visit later but just wanted to jump on and say we're home. I took the picture tonight of Craig & Jack in front of our neighbours tree.


Merry Christmas everyone.

1 comment:

Emily said...

UGH! I absolutely cannot imagine the agony that was your trip home!! Jack is a trooper for sure! Welcome home, I can't wait to hear about your trip.