Saturday, December 29, 2007

Lancashire Lingo

In addition to the fabulous book "Pets with Tourette's" that someone got me for Christmas, I got a book of Lancashire-English. It's a bit like a language dictionary but instead of being English-French translation or similar it's dialect from Lancashire - a county in the north-west of England where I'm from.

I'm glad I got this as I want to teach Jack as many Lancashire words & sayings as possible. Here's a few of my particular favourites:

Baggin - snack, lunch
Butty - Sandwich
Chunner - mutter
Daft - simple, foolish ("He's as daft as a brush")
Dither - unable to make up one''s mind
Faddy - fussy with food
Fettler - friend
Flummoxed - confused
Gammy - inured ("I've got a gammy leg")
Gawp - to stare
Gormless - stupid
Kecks - pants, trousers
Lumber - trouble ("you're in lumber now")
Mard - soft, cowardly
Meither - pester
Moggy - cat
Owt - anything
Parky - cold
Soggin - wet
Tackle - to attempt, male genitals (LOL)
Traips - to move about with no purpose ("stop traipsin about")
Welly - to strike hard

And some idioms:
Put wood in th'hole - shut the door
You make a better door than a window -you're obstructing the view
Spitting his dummy out - having a tantrum (a dummy is a pacifier)
He couldn't stop a pig in a ginnel (alley) - He's useless

1 comment:

Fredsueand me said...

its quite worrying that i use all of those words on a daily basis. hello to everyone, we miss you all ready.