Monday, December 10, 2007

Experimenting on my child

Parents have been looking at me with all-knowing eyes and saying "make sure you give Jack medicine on the plane to knock him out".

I'm anti-medicine and would rather suffer pain than take anything. I think it's a British thing - the "it's only a flesh wound" attitude. I'm also scared of getting addicted and hurting my insides (this philosophy is rather warped as I have no problem drinking copious amounts of wine)

Anyway, I rang my pediatrician this morning to ask about what, if anything, I should give Jack should he have the screaming ab dabs somewhere over the Atlantic. They said Benadryl. They also said that seeing as he's never had it before he may actually go hyper. They said the best bet was to give him some before we travel and watch his reaction. Experimenting on my child just seems wrong somehow..

We trundled off to Target tonight to the Benadryl aisle and found dozens of boxes, all for allergies (the pharmacist assured me this is what we wanted) and they all said "children under six, consult doctor" for dosage. So we didn't buy it and I'll have to ring the doctor again in the morning. I can see myself doing this but not doing it at a dose we just GUESS.

Good job we aren't flying yet so there's still time to experiment on him!

1 comment:

Emily said...

We haven't flown with Katy yet, and I totally understand your hesitation, but I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sure if the ped said it's ok, then they've tested it enough to know that it's safe. But of course, you've gotta know the dosage.
I'm so paranoid about how Katy would go totally balistic on a plane that I might consider taking some Benadryl myself - after I give her a good dose.