Thursday, November 01, 2007

Goodbye Charlie Old Fella

My mum & step-dad Tom's boxer Charlie had the most unusual start in life.

His mum died during the birth and he & the other pups were taken to a dog breeder who had a female dog that could feed them in their first weeks of life. Turns out the breeder had other plans than merely helping the pups out & hoped to sell them.

The owner of the pups (my sister) had to force her way into the womans house to get the pups back, only to find the white pups dead (I guess white boxers aren't money-makers) and the others in serious condition. Charlie, for instance was covered in flea bites and sores. Only two pups were alive - my sister kept one and my mum & Tom took the other, Charlie.

For the last 10 1/2 years Charlie has lived the life of Riley, that included complete run of the house and bed, fresh-cooked meals every day and lots of love.

This week he got very sick so got taken to the vet and he was there until today when my mum & Tom went to be with him while he was put to sleep. My mum said he knew they were there, and he fell asleep peacefully in their arms.

Of course they are both absolutely heartbroken and I hope they aren't upset that I posted about this, but I didn't want the day to go by without saying something about Charlie because he was a lovely dog and a real character. So I just wanted to acknowledge that, and say "goodbye" to him.

1 comment:

sprucey said...

Hi, Pam sorry to hear about Charlie. I know I was devastated when I lost Duke so know how your mum and Tom are feeling , and give my condolences to Shar and Jan, Tony xx