Saturday, November 03, 2007

ALDI - the good, the bad and the unripened

There's an ALDI shop near us & we love it. Where else can you buy a cart brimming full of food for less than $70? If you can tolerate some of the more colourful neigbourhood characters and their obnoxious children then it's worth it.

During our ALDI years we have identified good buys and terrible buys, so I thought I'd share a few.


Thumbs up:

1. Toilet roll. Double rolls, packs of 12, NO LINT, isn't so small that the roll needs changing every day. Marvelous.

2. Irish Cream. Not Baileys but who cares if it's half the price.

3. Southwest chicken spring rolls. Spicy & just the right midnight snack

4. "Fit & healthy" range of foods
5. Eggs, milk, wheat bread, meat, fish and fruit n veg - all good. Canned stuff on an individual item basis. For example, tuna is great, spaghetti & meatballs is a sugar fest.


Rasberries:

1. The cat litter. No idea what it's made of but it turned our cats black

2. Green bananas that never ripen

3. Yellow stuff that disguises itself as margarine. You can put it under a broiler and it stays intact. Craig calls it "I can't believe it won't melt"

4. A lot of the kids food contains high fructose corn syrup. I bet the people that make it don't serve it to their kids.


2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, I was just laughing out LOUD at your post. SO funny. I love the raspberries, and since I shop at the same Aldi's as you, I consider it very applicable. :)
Thanks, I needed to laugh today. I've been so worried about my little one.

Fredsueand me said...

I love aldi too, we have a few around and about its the best shop, sue hides her face when i take her there in case anyone see's her go in (she wont mind me telling the world that she is a food snob)Micheal (Sue's brother who lives accross the road from us) and I have regular boring coversations about whats good and bad and what is on offer this week, They sell power tools and houshold stuff here like TV's and other electricles which are really good value. It doesnt matter what i do though sue wont be converted, you can tell her off when you come at christmas Pam.