Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sharing the Good Stuff (avoiding work)

I should be working HARD. I have loads of things to do, both for work and at home but I'm sat here pretending I'm doing important community service work. I was the same years ago at college. During exam time when I should have been studying I had the cleanest dorm room of any student on campus. I am the master of avoiding the boring stuff!

Anyway, in a vain attempt to come up with a blog posting that serves any purpose, I've put together a list of stuff this week that I've enjoyed, so I can share it with family and friends...

1. The film "Vacancy". I don't even remember it being on at the movies but we got it on DVD and it scared me to bloody death. I was actually hiding for several parts of the film. Craig enjoyed it too. It's not a blood and guts movie but full of suspense and one that has you shouting "no, no, no, don't run that way!"

2. The TV show Top Gear now on BBC America! It's been going since 1977 and was one of our favourite programs growing up and now they've brought it to American tv every Monday night at 8pm. Last nights episode, when they did the disastrous camping trip, was the funniest tv I've seen in a while.

3. The book "The Bookseller of Kabul" by Asne Seierstad. I guess I'm going through an "Afghanistan" phase as it's my 3rd book on the subject. It's based on a real family living in Kabul. The father , real name Muhammad Rais, has since taken his family to Scandinavia and is seeking rufuge there, based on the fact that his life is now in danger since the book was published. He's also trying to sue the author. I might have just a smidge of sympathy for the guy if (1) he hadn't treated the women of his house like dirt and made them wear burkas (2) he hadn't treated one family so bad that the man of the house was incarcerated, leading to sure poverty and death for the man's family (3) he hadn't taken a second wife and sent his first to another country away from her children (4) he hadn't made slaves of his kids, denying them all of an education, even though it was offered. Mmmm, made my feelings crystal didn't I. Great book though, thoroughly enjoyed it but maybe it's time for something different. I quite fancy reading the true story of Wyatt Earp so more to follow..

4. The iHome music system that Craig got and installed as a surprise for me when I got home from Canada. It's under one of the kitchen cabinets, it was on sale at Target for $20, reduced from $100. It means we finally have music upstairs. It means I can dance with Jack. It means I can cook breakfast and sing along to my favourite songs. I love it (thanks Craig).

5. The game that Jack likes. Playing the old kitchen roll! It's hard to come up with stuff all the time to keep his attention but he loves making noise so we give him the old cardboard tube and he plays like he's in a marching band! See below for proof of our lad's musical ability....

No comments: