Friday, September 14, 2007

Back from Canada

On Wednesday I drove to Canada to talk at a conferance in Ontario. It was a 7-hour drive and I still got lost even though I took Craig's car with the GPS system. I have trouble trusting "her" when she tells me to turn left and I know better. That would definitely bite me in the bum on the way home! After the conference I went to the University of Guelph to meet with my industry colleagues. The campus was just gorgeous....


Picture above: University of Guelph Johnston Hall.
I had a great time and I love the accent . It's near to British and in fact everyone I met had British ancestors (usually just by 1 generation). I had to revert back to metric during my talks - hard after 8 years in the states, but it came back okay.

I love Canadians because: they're fellow liberals, they sell English chocolate that I can't get in the States (Crunchies, Smarties, Lion Bars, Turkish Delight, Wagon Wheels etc), they are a Commonwealth country so have the Queen's face on money and the roads have the Royal emblem, they like a drink and have a great sense of humor and they are very curteous and good drivers. The driving thing struck me the most as I'm used to the very poor and sometimes obnoxious drivers from Ohio (me included)

Pic: Rainbow Bridge from my car

On the way there I crossed from the USA to Canada via the Peace Bridge but on the way back I got really lost (my fault as I didn't believe my GPS lady) and ended up coming over Rainbow Bridge at Niagara. I LOVE my job. Where else, on a work day, could I lift my camera and take a picture like this one I took today?


Picture: Our lad & monkey

Ahhhhhhhh, HOME to my Craig and Jack. I drove for 8 hours today and did 85 miles/hr whenever I could so I could get home before Jack went to bed at 7.30pm. I called Craig at 7pm when I was about 15 minutes away and he said he was going to give Jack a bath so I was excited about getting home.

I pulled up outside the house, leapt out, got my key in the front door and said "Hello?" I heard Craig say "it's mama!" and then I heard a big splash and a thunk and this little naked boy just RAN to me at the front door. He was soaking wet and all his hair was stuck up and he was grinning from ear to ear. He broke my heart (in a good way).

No comments: