Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Baby Joy & 3 Cups of Tea

Our friends Brian & Emily just announced that they are having another baby, or put another way (as my friend John recently described his impending fatherhood) "Brian just slipped one past the goalie". They are about 14 weeks preggers I believe and of course very excited. Emily is my mentor because her daughter Katy (hiding from paparazzi Pam but getting snapped by dad) is 8 weeks older than Jack and my indicator of things to come!
Anyway, I'm sure I'll be posting more pix of them over the next few months and I know family from England that met them will wish them well.

.........................................
After my "Afghanistan phase" of reading I thought I might read a Wyatt Earp book but I've procrastinated and so had NOTHING to read the last 2 weeks. This might seem anal to some people but I HAVE to read when I sit down to eat or relax. At dinner time we eat our food on our knees so Craig watches The Simpsons or Family Guy or his "other woman" Judge Judy and I read.
In the last 2 weeks I have read:
  • Every bit of the AAA magazine, even the boring stuff
  • Local free papers
  • Advertisements for local shops
  • A soil physics book (REALLY)

I went on Amazon today to look for a Wyatt Earp book and it recommended a book for me - I know it's a marketing ploy, but Amazon gets it right for me very time!

So, I just ordered "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. It's right up my alley - non-fiction and a great story.

Basically, the American author was on a climbing exhibition of K2, got lost, nearly died but stumbled into an impoverished Pakistani village and got nursed to health. He promised to go back and help the kids and he does. He sold all his possessions, lived in his car, wrote to thousands of celebrities, did everything he could to fulfill the promise and to date has built 55 schools in the region. Which brings me to this - It's also about Afghanistan - so I'm back in the country I love to read about!

Lastly, I just saw that Greg Mortenson will be on NBC nightly with Brian Williams this Friday 28th - so I must try and watch that.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks for the well wishes... hopefully we'll see you soon...