Friday, August 31, 2007

Football's Here - Wooo!

Buckeye season starts tomorrow, HURRAH!

For friends and family in England - the Buckeyes are the college football team at The Ohio State University. Last season we were unbeaten, ranked number one and had the best player in the nation. The less said about the Championship game the better. A lot of those players have now graduated or been picked up by the NFL. This season we have a young team but we have high hopes! Just today I went and spent $35 on a number 33 jersey (James Laurinaitis) for Jack. The OSU stadium holds 105,000 people and the whole city of Columbus is passionate about this team.

Craig and I went to our first game in 1998 when I was over here just for the summer, before we emigrated. We were split up because my boss took me and a graduate student, Dave, took Craig. We previously arranged to sneak out at half time - I mean, come on "American football"????? It's BORING. They stop and start and stop and start and nothing happens for AGES .... We met outside at half-time, looked at each other and said we LOVED it, wanted to stay, can we get back in (no, obviously). And so, since 1998 we've been to as many games we can. We've both been to a lot but I'm fortunate enough in my work to go to every game.

I know our friends and family will still think it's awful - I would too. You have to go to a game. My boss here thinks football (soccer) is awful. No matter how many times I tell him how wonderful it is he doesn't believe me. He doesn't like the low scores. He thinks there's nothing worse that 0-0!

Anyway, I went off on a tangent - Buckeye football starts tomorrow. My friend Emily has a really nice video posted on her blog to get us in the mood, so I thought I'd post a video of a commercial made about the Buckeye: Michigan rivalry that made me laugh - GO BUCKS!

No comments: