Monday, July 30, 2007

End of Book Blues

I'm an avid reader (thanks mum) and now & again I read a book that stays with me for ages after. The last one I felt like that about was The Kite Runner. The last 2 books since then have been okay.

I just finished "Nowhere Else on Earth" by Josephine Humphreys and I LOVED it so now I feel a bit lost. I knew it was historical fiction so I thought the characters were made-up. I went on Google tonight and turns out they're not!

Henry Berry Lowrie (top left) and his wife Rhoda Strong were real-life people from the Lumbee Tribe that lived in North Carolina during the Civil War. It's a fascinating story of hardship, love, murder & outlaws. I'm going to have to read a lot more about them. There's also an outdoor drama about them called Strike at the Wind that I'd love to see if we ever get to NC.

My next book is "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by the same author as The Kite Runner.

No comments: