Friday, June 01, 2007

It's true - I have no idea!

Before I had Jack I talked to my sister Jen and friend Sue about raising a child and how on earth you know what to do and they said - "you don't! You make it up as you go". Well, I'm a very organised person that likes things done yesterday and sorted out, so not knowing how to fix things bothers me.

Up till now, I've had a dream ride with Jack - no morning sickness, great delivery, laid-back baby, no illnesses. I mean Jack is a superstar as far as babies go - no trouble at all. So, on Wednesday our friend Thomas was round for a visit and all of a sudden Jack started whining and crying for me. He climbed up on to me and clung on and just laid there - usually he pulls away from me and wants to go off on adventures. This went on for a couple of hours of him just wanting his mum and feeling sorry for himself. He also had a low grade temp - anywhere from 99-101. He was, however still eating okay. Since then he's been really upset - waking every couple of hours crying, not napping, and sometimes so lethargic that we got scared. Docs say the usual - check his temp and eating habits. We've both been flumoxed - he's unwell but okay, so what could it be?

Watching him more closely we've seen him pulling down on his jaw and he's drooling like a big slobbery dog - so it has to be teething! He's got 2 down and 2 above right now but more must be coming in. Poor little love must be in pain. We're rubbing his gums with Oragel and giving him a little Tylenol and giving him lots of things to do to keep his mind off it.

This is such a learning curve. We were so upset on Wednesday we very nearly took him to the ER. Imagine how stupid we'd have felt when they said he was just teething!

No comments: